Sunday, July 26, 2009

Hello, World! It's Amsterdam

When Man told me our flight home from Paris had a stopover in Amsterdam, instead of my usual annoyed whining shtick, I was all like, "The Netherlands? I know a blogger there! Let's stay a couple days, and maybe I can meet her!"

And ta-da! I did!

Hm. Maybe I should visit doctors Troy and McNamara...



Nadine from Hello, World, It's Me! has always been one of my favorite reads, and she was kind enough to take the hourlong train ride from The Hague with Monkey to meet us at one of the coolest zoos ever. It was the best day, I tell ya'. She is simply stunning, and we had such a great time getting to know each other.

No pleasure is without its pain in my family, however, and so I spent the time trying to ignore the fact I apparently have negative number boob size and the images put there by 12-year-old Girl, earlier in the day:

"How old is this Blogger we're meeting, Mom?"

"I don't know, honey; she has little kids. Could be anywhere from mid-twenties to early 30-ish."

"Ooooooh! So if this were the Gilmore Girls, she could be your daughter!"

Yeah.

So.

Any-way. We had a blast, monkeying around:





One of my favorite parts of the whole trip: holding a cute widdle guy again.



Little kids are the bestest things, and Monkey was an especially good one. And no, it had nothing to do with the fact I couldn't understand a word he was saying. And while I did enjoy mightily the fact he didn't call me old or ask for stuff left and right, or roll his eyes at me even once, it was more than that. He really was good as gold. (Unlike some people we know. But they shall remain nameless. Though their name rhymes with Oy! for a reason, let me tell ya.' )

Thanks, Nadine, for the wonderful time! It was great meeting you guys!

21 comments:

hokgardner said...

Come to Austin and you can cuddle a little guy who's pretty darn cute AND a baby who's very, very cute.

Rose Red said...

awww sweeeet! isn't meeting up with bloggers the coolest thing - even more so when it's in the Netherlands!

And hey, you could have another one of those little fellas. Just make sure he learns Dutch and not English, and you'll never have to hear (or at least understand) the "I want..." phrase ever again!

TinkingBell said...

I love meeting blogpals! Isn't it the best - and he is cute (not just for all those reasons..although I'm sure they helped!)

I've got a cute one too if you ever get to Tassie......

Bells said...

What I want to know is how come your stop over flight couldn't have been Canberra. Sure, it's a little out of the way but still...I could have even arrange a cute little guy or girl to amuse you!

Kathy B! said...

How absolutely awesome that you got to meet!

Your blog is making me positively green with envy :)

At Home Mommy Knits said...

That is so great that you got to meet a blog friend! And your trip....I am so jealous :)

Jane said...

What a fun way to end your trip! Someday we will meet and your oy will play with my two oys and we will sit and drink a lot of wine! Because I think the three of them together could do a lot of damage :)

lilypotter said...

That is so cool! I'm glad you all had such a good time. :)

Barb said...

I'm a little jet-lagged so I read that Nadine took the train from "the With Monkey"--like that was the name of the place where she lives.

I notice that you didn't ask THIS blogger to come take an hour train ride when you brought Girl to New York. Not that I'm bitter. Or jealous.

Barb said...

I mean "The HAGUE With Monkey."

Must go drink some afternoon coffee at 10:00.

the mama bird diaries said...

Love the Gilmore Girls reference. Hilarious.

Hillbilly Duhn said...

What fun!!!

Shelley said...

How fun is that, meeting a new friend in Amsterdam? And that is definitely one cute little monkey. I always find it fascinating to hear little kids speaking another language. It just sounds so cool.

kim said...

Oh, that looks like the best time - despot Oy!

Kathy said...

So I'm guessing while you were toting kids around Amsterdam that you were able to avoid the ...um... more adult aspects of the town? I was once there with a couple of Mormons. That was fun.

Jejune said...

Fantastic! I'm so thrilled you got to meet up, blogging really does make the world a smaller and friendlier place :)

Ree said...

Didn't you just LOVE Amsterdam??? It's my dream to live there someday. Ahhhhh.

I love meeting bloggers.

Miss M said...

That is exactly how I felt when I met my first fellow blogger! (minus the non-English speaking bebe) I loved it!

Wendi said...

I just can't keep up with World Traveler Mad Mad. You're everywhere, man.

a friend to knit with said...

i got SO sidetracked.
well, i don't know if it was sidetracked or the fact that your last post came true here... again.. and i had some cleaning to do!

how totally stinkin cool that you were in amsterdamn meeting a fellow bloggy friend.
i totally dig that!!!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

I had an adorable, blond, well behaved little guyonce upon a time.
Sigh...then he grew up.